<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07511159840\46blogName\75Iraqi+Expat\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75SILVER\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_GB\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-8725093042459799877', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Iraqi Expat

Friday, July 01, 2005

Did you know?

That Saudi women, who are not allowed to drive, to vote, to go out with strange men or be seen with strange men, whom the government is planning to employ, buy their lingerie from strange salesmen!

Yes, they buy their underwear from men! That would include asking strangers for different types of underwear in different sizes and colours! Oh come on, that allowed and driving is not? What logic is that? Could it be the logic of public humiliation and oppression, and never mind what's not public?

Sounds pretty strange to me, but don't worry they are going to "fix it"! Of course, by "fix it" I do not mean allowing women to drive, to vote and to mix with men, but changing the staff in the lingerie shops!

11 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

haha, this made me laugh so hard...how long has this been going on before they decided to change it?

this is just further proof that while the rest of the world is (or trying to) move forward, Arab countries w/ Saudi Arabia on top, is moving backwards to the age of??? oh who knows...basically as far back as they can go!

July 01, 2005 6:28 pm  
Blogger Fayrouz said...

That's very funny.

I always wondered about the gender of salesperons in Saudi Arabia.

Do they sell Victoria Secret's products in Saudi Arabia? I bet they do.

July 01, 2005 6:43 pm  
Anonymous Suz said...

What logic and genius! Now how are the ladies employed in the lingerie shops going to deal with manufacturers? suppliers? bankers? shippers? tax collectors? landlords? The stupidity just compounds itself, doesn't it!

July 02, 2005 2:10 am  
Blogger jedati said...

Fay...I heard a long time ago that SA is one of Victoria's Secret's biggest markets. I'm going to have to find that story, I think it was on line.

July 02, 2005 10:39 am  
Blogger Fayrouz said...

jedati,

I hope you find the story. I'll try to google it too.

July 02, 2005 5:12 pm  
Blogger dcat said...

Ahmad,

What man isn’t strange?! Just kidding, I think I would last about one or two seconds in that country, be dead and happier for it or start a movement! But hey that is just me. Like I said one or two seconds max if not ½ second :)

I love my BMW Z4!

July 02, 2005 7:05 pm  
Blogger jedati said...

Hi again!
I can't find the article, but I am pretty sure it was a news article and google news doesn't archive very long. If I find it, I'll be back. I do remember something about VS having to change the magazine fronts, (or "advertisement covers") to sell in SA.

July 03, 2005 11:10 am  
Anonymous assparade said...

Hi! It`s really great page. I`ll looked here often. I invite to my page..

July 03, 2005 4:08 pm  
Anonymous bunyip said...

yawn...yet another reason why these hypocritical "societies" are passing into history - not only are they offensive to women and therefore oldfashioned and irrelevant in the 21st century, but they are also laughably illogical.

We in the (so-called) West have great difficulty understanding these countries where (in media reports admittedly) so many men crowd the streets and dominate all public aspects of life yet women are usually nowhere to be seen. And when they are seen - they are little bits of cloth moving around with no real voice, no face, no individuality nor personal freedom of movement. We dont see them as stupid we see them as slaves owned by men and cowed by 4th century violence and crazy rhetoric.

What we see on TV/newspapers looks like a violation of human rights, a denial of humanity born out of the narrow ideological conversation taking place only within the male (often) minority in a population. Until all members of that population have a true voice, you can't call it a true society - it's lop-sided, half-made, unfinished mess.

Its even more of a joke when I read a Teherani spokesman just recently saying "The US is not a democracy, we are a democracy".

Really - who on earth would expect to be taken seriously with comments like this? What Iran (and so many other countries) commits on a daily basis is not democracy but Terrorism Against Women.

I may not be american but i too come from a democracy where I walk, talk and breathe freedom daily as a female, and no ignorant regime, no half-witted man and no ridiculous laws, cultural, religious or political, exist to bind my movement, my speech or my dreams. All the guys I know do not suffer one bit for my freedom -in fact they lead an easier life because of it!

So buy your lingerie, buy whatever you like ladies, just bide your time because the day of reckoning for those miserable creeps is coming....

July 05, 2005 7:23 am  
Blogger Goesh said...

I really laughed when I read this post! There can be no greatness, no advancement and progress in any society that does not allow half the population, the women, to participate in the decision making and the work. I do not understand why half the human potential is kept locked up so to speak. The great majority of men control their passion and are not going to go wild like a beast if they are working near a woman. I admire the modesty of Muslim women very much, but it is taken to an extreme by the men.

July 05, 2005 12:28 pm  
Blogger Brian H said...

Oh, I was born in the wrong country! I missed my life's vocation! I'd be especially helpful in the fitting rooms, for sure !00!

But I betcha they only hire Saudi gays, of which I hear there are many closets-full. ;-(

July 07, 2005 9:01 am  

Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home