<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07511159840\46blogName\75Iraqi+Expat\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75SILVER\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_GB\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-8725093042459799877', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Iraqi Expat

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Why NO

I asked fellow Iraqis to put differences and reasoning aside, and to answer a very clear question with a simple yes or no. But not all were able to achieve that and some felt compelled to explain. I can understand why you want to explain; but what you forgot is by saying yes or no, it doesn't mean you are accepting everything in that situation.

We all have more than one reason to explain our yes or no answer; but with too many and different reasons the answer will be lost and a long debate will start instead. The question doesn't ask for reasons, explanations or justification, only the answer to make things clearer and to get a straight answer, no matter what are the reasons.

The explanation could be too long or too short, and people have different reasons for both the yes and the no. Sometimes those reasons are logical and understandable, other times they are not quite so. I believe, through my blog I have expressed my views in so many different post which explains the NO that I will not try to link to these posts. But I will give you a not too long personalised version of the explanation.

I have seen the wars, though not the last one; I have lived in Iraq during the sanctions; I have been afraid all of my life of any government official and the lowest rank police officer who I have to thank and apologise to if he decides to slap me and spit on my face. I simply lost hope.

I used to think that Saddam can be toppled by the people, by an assassination or a revolution; but I was dreaming. It would never have happened, and even if it would, a new dictator would have came a long just like 1958, 1963 and 1968. Otherwise, Qussay would have been next.

If we go back in time to before the war, I would not dare to set a foot in Iraq; but I would do it now, even though I haven't don it, but the idea of going back doesn't scare me now like it used to before. Don't assume that I hold any passport other than the Iraqi passport, because I don't. There is hope today, and if we fail we have only ourselves to blame.

I have lost relatives during Saddam's era. I have seen the brutality of that regime and of the people associated with it. I have a relative who lived all his life in Iraq, i.e. he wasn't an expat, and was kidnapped after the war because he works for some foreign company. He couldn't even afford the ransom and the company paid for him.

I have also lost childhood friends during this war. Two brothers have died in the last few days of the war while driving in Baghdad, and they are very dear to my heart. I have lost people before and after the war; but it is not about me or them, it is about Iraq and giving it a chance to have a better future.

Freedom and democracy doesn't come free and dreams take us nowhere. We may not succeed, but that is our problem; and as Kanan Makiya said "The war made it possible for the country to have a chance—I am not saying a guarantee—of moving ahead in a democratic fashion".

Getting rid of Saddam was never going to be free and easy, and if Iraqis wanted to change the regime, 10s or 100s of thousands would've died. And I even believe that terrorism - or resistance if that's what you prefer to call them – would've happened anyway for many different reasons, mostly because we have people who care too much about themselves and are shameless about it.

The deaths caused by Saddam and his thugs were not being publicised like the deaths that happened in the last two years, but they were on a much larger scale. Terror was the government business and today it is the resistance's business. Until when are we willing to be ruled by terror?

The war ended with little causalities and collateral damage, little compared to the number of deaths of Iraqis if they wanted to topple Saddam themselves. But what happened next? Instead of standing all of us together to build a new Iraq, some of us in corporation with foreign Arab/Iranian governments started a fight and started destroying our own country and the will of the good people. Who do I blame? That some of us!

Why it is better now? Because there is a chance that we might succeed; and if we don't then all those losses during Saddam's era and during and after the war are gone in vain.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fayrouz said...

Ahmed,

Your post reminded me of a post I wrote last year about the same subject.

You can find it here.

June 08, 2005 8:08 pm  
Anonymous Ruth in Texas said...

Ahmed
After the first Gulf War when Saddam was run out of Kuwait, I heard many times from our government officials that the reason they did not take Saddam out of power was because someone equally as evil or worst would just come to power. So to hear you say that just confirms that First President Bush just might have been right. Yes, Iraq does have a chance now and I believe that the Iraqi's will take advantage of it and come together and live a peaceful life. At least that is my prayer.

June 09, 2005 4:44 am  

Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home