<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07511159840\46blogName\75Iraqi+Expat\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75SILVER\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_GB\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-8725093042459799877', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Iraqi Expat

Friday, June 24, 2005

Saddam the Novelist

Update: Jordan bans Saddam's latest novel.

Saddam has written four novels in his time. I haven't read any of them in the past, and I am not interested in reading any of them in future.

I believe that Saddam can offer me nothing in his novel, and I am not trying to sound too smart here, but I believe that even if I want to understand how this monster thinks, all I need to do is look at his atrocities and read about history and what other dictators have done. And I think that from what I know and what I've seen, I know how he thinks; the short version he is a stupid gangster.

Normally when Saddam writes a novel, he send draft copies to Iraqi and Arab critics and intellectuals. They read the novel and then send it back with recommendations and corrections, and after few revisions the novel becomes eligible for publishing and it gets published signed "Its author".

His latest novel, "Get Out, Damned One", was written just before the war. Some Jordanian publisher then published the novel after the war, and it was signed "Its author". People assumed that this publisher has obtained a copy from one of the critics and or from Saddam's daughter. Excerpts from the novel also appeared in different Arabic newspapers.

As I said, I am not interested in wasting my time reading what Saddam has to say. However, a friend of mine bought the latest novel in Jordan and read it; and he told me that it was laughable and extremely weak dramatically and grammatically. He recited some paragraphs for me in Arabic, that was shockingly unprintable. But hey, Jordanians love Saddam and wanted to publish his novel, so they did.

A rumor I heard about Jordanians a while back that one of Jordan's private schools have waived the fees for some of the families of Iraq's former regime, because they have suffered a lot and they are in trouble now!

apparently the novel will be republished; or for those who didn't know it was published before, it will be published by a Jordanian publisher. It will also be translated to English and French! And unlike his previous novels, this one will be published under his name. I expect that it has been revised and corrected in way that would not be so laughable. To me it is no surprise at all that a novel written by Saddam, without editing and modifications, is ludicrous, what do you expect?

Raghad Saddam Hussein has dedicated the novel to her father:

"To the beat of the heart, to the eye and to the father of the Iraqis ... to the creator of men and heroes ... to the one who taught us all the great values," she wrote.

Now I understand he is her father, but a little shame would be nice; though these people have no shame. The beat of the heart? The eye? The father? The creator? The teacher? It sounds like Allah. She could've have said "To Allah" and everybody would've understand it's for her father.

I know, Muslims will tell me that what I am saying is blasphemy; but guess what? When Saddam is portrayed as God, I become Satan.

"You, who raised our heads high, the heads of the Iraqis, the Arabs and the Muslims ... we present to you our souls ... to the father of the heroes, to my beloved and dear father, with all my respect and glory to you."

I am going to puke. I am not kidding...

12 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

directly after the war before I heard what his daughters are doing in Jordan and elsewhere I felt sorry for them...I told my family that they must feel shame that they have a father like that and I was so sure that they hated him and had absolutely no feelings for him considering he killed their husbands along with a list of other things...I sympethized with them b/c after all he was their father and they were tied to him whether they liked it or not...apparently I shouldn't have felt sorry for such human breed...they are just like him and I believe he has done a great job raising them with the "values" that he holds...can't they place them in jail too? I'm sure they've committed some crimes too...but who will arrest them, the jordanians? the palistanians? ha! ya right.

June 24, 2005 9:05 pm  
Blogger Osama - Iraqi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 25, 2005 1:55 am  
Blogger Osama - Iraqi said...

Nancy,

I think you’re a bit mistaken when you said (human breed)... No human can do what that did.

June 25, 2005 1:56 am  
Blogger Nancy said...

true Osama, very true...I should have said "unidentified breed"!

June 25, 2005 3:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two stupid questions:

1. Is it true that Saddam wrote (I am not sure what he wrote) God is Great in his own blood on an Iraqi flag? Was it spelled wrong? Is this just a stupid rumor?

2. Osama-Iraqi, are you living in the United States right now? Were people rude because of your first name?

June 25, 2005 5:43 am  
Blogger Osama - Iraqi said...

Anonymous ,

Yes,I live in the US and no, not even once i heared a rude comment.

June 25, 2005 6:03 am  
Blogger dcat said...

I work with a Mohammed and you know something he is wonderful! Hassan is his last name too!

Ahmad please hand the bucket to me after you are done :) Visit my monkey picture ;)

June 25, 2005 9:07 am  
Blogger dcat said...

Oh Allah!

This is just as bad if not worse then Jane Fonda's book! BLAHHHHH you better empty it Ahmad more is coming up!

June 25, 2005 9:12 am  
Anonymous Nouri said...

I have read parts of some of his books, they are about as original as the "Green Book" that Qaddafi wrote. I suppose it is better to have him in prison writing than to have him out and about killing people, but why do people publish his crap? Who buys it?

June 25, 2005 9:00 pm  
Blogger Nancy said...

Nouri,
who buys it? his beloved Arab supporters who still think he is a hero, that is who...the palistanians, jordanians, syrians, etc. I mean I understand that they loved him when he was in power b/c he was filling their pockets with Iraq's money, the money that was supposed to be for the Iraqis, but now that he's gone forever I don't understand why they still support him.

June 25, 2005 9:18 pm  
Blogger Ahmad said...

Anon,

Saddam wrote God is Great on the flag, but not with his blodd. His blood was used to wrtie a Quran!

June 26, 2005 12:34 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

The idea of banning books is repugnant to me, but, boy, this one is one very disturbing case. One thing for sure, there will be a thriving black market for it.

June 30, 2005 3:22 pm  

Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home