<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11159840\x26blogName\x3dIraqi+Expat\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8725093042459799877', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Iraqi Expat

Monday, April 11, 2005

Saddamites

After my last post about the anti-American Iraqi, I thought its worth writing more stories. I have hinted before how Iraqi Expats think, I said:

"As for how people think, well as you can imagine or maybe not, you can find all sorts of people (exile Iraqis). You can find those who supprots Iran Style, those who supprot the Baath, those who support Saddam! And you can even find people that support a Wahhabi style Iraq! You might find it hard to belive, but it is true; and the question that always comes to my mind when I see such people is: Why are you here? Why did you leave Iraq? Why are you not in Iran? And so many other questions.

I must say that it is disturbing to see such people, especially those who still support Saddam; but the majority believe one way or another in freedom and democracy, even though each express their views in a different way."


A Saddamite:

There is this women who lives in London; I barely know her, but I know the people she hangs out with pretty well. Iraqis always had some doubts that she might be a Saddamite Agent, but that didn't stop her from being part of the Iraqi community.

She first hit the news when Uday and Qusay died. She wore black to mourn their death! Can you believe an Iraqi woman mourning the death of the murderers and rapists Uday and Qusay? Well, she did. Then she hit the news again when Saddam was captured. While we celebrated his capture, she cried.

So, after the war and after these events people distant themselves from her. To have a different view is fine, but crying for Saddam and mourning the death of his two evil sons is completely different, upsetting and disturbing.

Later she surface back, claiming that she couldn't celebrate someone's misery, and she can't feel happy for someone's suffering! So she couldn't be happy when people get justice? When the murderer is captured! When the rapist die! Right! As if we believe that!

So, she was treated with cautious, and was already being labelled a Saddamite like few others who had similar views. But my jaw dropped when I heard that she is working for the Out of Country Vote polling centre, and I saw her there when I went to register; but the first question I asked when I heard was: What about Saddam and her position on these issues? And the Answer I got was brilliant: They pay £60 cash in hand per day!

This woman, and the other Saddamites who have varying degrees of support to Saddam, don't dare to defend or praise Saddam. However, they sometimes use lines that shows clearly where they stand and when it happens everybody becomes angry and they start wrangling. Some of these lines are -- all of which begin with I hate Saddam or I don't like Saddam -- when Saddam was captured we lost our pride! Or Saddam could not have been captured in the rat's hole, he is too courageous or too elegant or too proud to be found there! Or when Saddam was in power we had no problems! And there are so many versions of this last one that sometimes it makes you laugh!

The problem is that some people, especially anti-Americans and or anti-Bush, might actually believe them. I don't know whether they believe them out of stupidity or only to prove their case, but either way its just plain stupid.

A Kurdish Saddamite:

This might come as a shock to some people! Some Kurds have worked with Saddam and or his thugs; but this guy is different, he is a hopeless case!

I met him in a house party and as usual we ended up talking politics! He is from a very well known Kurdish family, few members of which have worked with Saddam and his thugs. While debating, he announced that he loves Saddam. For me that was a major hurdle and I can't ignore it, so for us continue debating I have to know where he stands. So here is where he stands: He love Saddam. Saddam is handsome, courageous and shrewd. Saddam is our pride. At that point I was ready to explode, but I tried to contain myself and I asked him what about the Shias that he slaughtered, the Kurds that he buried alive, the 100s of thousands killed, the chemical weapons, killing anyone who speak or do anything against him, what about all this? And his answer was: What do expect him to do? He had to defend himself. Those dead deserve what they got. If I were in his position, I would have done the same.

Now imagine someone saying this to you. I was boiling and he was smiling which made me even more angry, but I realised that he just stupid and I shouldn't bother with someone like him, because it will only make me angry and he will never understand. It is astonishing that he can justify what Saddam did to the Iraqis, and its even more astonishing for a Kurd to be able to justify it. I was shocked and appalled and I couldn't believe it. That was the first time I ever meet a person who priased Saddam like that, but apparently there are people like that and I don't know what to call them.

What puzzles me is that if they like Saddam so much, and apparently he was good to them, why did they leave?

17 Comments:

Anonymous Annie said...

I think the answer to all this is in the one line "I would have done the same."
Like minds do seem to understand each other, but he still left so as not to be one of Saddam's victims. It is like mafia godfathers who respect each others territories and stay out of the others neighborhood, because they know full well what might happen, because they would do the same.

April 11, 2005 7:53 pm  
Blogger DagneyT said...

"If I were in his position, I would have done the same."

This indicates an inner evil. This is why we need to be sure that democracies prevail, so that one man's evil cannot hurt innocents, should he rise to power.

April 11, 2005 8:13 pm  
Blogger Brian H said...

Here, Ahmad; read this and feel better!

:)

April 11, 2005 9:36 pm  
Blogger Ahmad said...

Brian,

Ali's post are alway great. This is a wonderful piece.

Thanks

April 11, 2005 10:10 pm  
Blogger Maggie45 said...

Sounds to me like he's a sociopath. Totally no conscience. It's impossible to identify with them.

April 12, 2005 3:27 am  
Blogger dcat said...

Ahmad,
Excellent! Keep on cranking em out! You write a hell of a lot better then I! Better information as well.

I always look forward to reading what you put out. Now if the haloscan works I’ll be happy! :)

Power is only bad when the wrong person has it!

April 12, 2005 6:29 am  
Blogger dcat said...

Yippy! It worked!!! Where are those faces :):);)

April 12, 2005 6:32 am  
Blogger Kat said...

People will use many things to justify their beliefs. Some even say that we pro-Iraq liberation folks have used certain arguments to justify the means or negate the death that was certainly present during the war and during many after actions (mop up in military speak).

The question must always be, what was the outcome? Was the outcome to keep one man in power and continue to kill?

What justification can ever be appropriate? There is none and as logical people we find it abhorent.

War is abhorent in its application, yet it does have an outcome and it is that outcome which validates and justifies. Liberation and security of whole peoples are acceptable, though we know that war meant others died, far and above justification to keep power, to keep the trains running on time.

it is a delicate balancing act played upon words, but rooted in the outcome.

For some, liberation would always mean the end of what they believed so, for those, it will be equally abhorrent as their support for power hungry ego maniacal murderer.

It is only important to know what we stand for, what we believe and that, in the end, it was right.

April 12, 2005 7:19 am  
Blogger Brian H said...

Maybe the most dynamic pro-liberation ex-pats have already moved back! You know, part of that negative emigration fleeing the country in reverse after the war? ;)

April 12, 2005 7:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wow. Especially the statement made by the Kurd. Didn't he see the pictures of the children dead in the streets? My God, how can anyone think that was justified? He is sick. Perhaps he is a nazis reincarnated. Bastard.

April 12, 2005 10:30 pm  
Anonymous mzk said...

It's strange, but many Russians felt the same way about Stalin and wept when he died. I think it is because the cult of personality creates a new religion where the dictator becomes a living god to some people.

When the coalition forces first liberated the Shia areas near Kuwait I can't forget one Iraqi, who spoke English, telling a western reporter that Saddam was like a god and couldn't be defeated.

April 12, 2005 10:57 pm  
Anonymous Peggy said...

It is a puzzle to me as well, Ahmed. There are people like that in every nation that finally becomes free of oppressors.

I'm glad I found your blog! Came over from IraqtheModel. Now, you are bookmarked!

April 12, 2005 11:28 pm  
Blogger Abe said...

A very good post. It's amazing what some people can believe. Even in America some people believe some crazy stuff: CBS's fake documents were real; OJ is looking for "the real killer;" and so forth.

It seems there is no idea so loony that less than 10% of the population will believe in it. :)

April 13, 2005 2:47 am  
Blogger Timsa7 said...

please give me the name and address or telephone number of this Kurdish Saddamite scum and we the Kurdish community in London will deal with him.
What is he doing in London if he loves Saddam ?!
Please give me his details and his ass is ours.

Thank you
Timsa7

April 14, 2005 1:58 pm  
Blogger Dilnareen said...

ah yes the baathists in all shapes and sizes, btw whose this woman in black she was mentioned in another blog as well, must be quite a character does she travel around with her miserable stories as well

April 14, 2005 6:48 pm  
Blogger Ahmad said...

Timsa7, I don't have his number or address. I can get his number and I know his name, but I don't think I can reveal that!

Dilnareen, I don't know where else she is mentioned. It could be her, or it could be someone else, unfortunately she is not the only sick person!

April 14, 2005 9:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute...did you give the guy's name and address to the FBI via www.fbi.gov?

There are lines that people shouldn't cross, even in the "liberal west". I've met pro-Saddam Palestinians in Europe before...but knowing they were talking with a pro-Bush American, they weren't going to be stupid enough to directly say something that I would call the German police about on my cell phone.

Maybe England is far-gone. But in Germany and in the USA, there are limits to what certain people can say without the police getting called. ...then again I remember a gorgeous young white woman at a black tie ball in San Francisco admitting under fire that she felt America deserved 9-11. White leftists are untouchable in this regard. You cannot punish that kind of stupidity. It is totally legal.

But a pro-Saddam, pro-insurgency Iraqi should be illegal in Britan as well as anywhere else.

April 20, 2005 10:30 pm  

Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home