<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11159840\x26blogName\x3dIraqi+Expat\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8725093042459799877', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Iraqi Expat

Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Fall of Saddam

I woke up as usual to go to work, I made myself a coffee, head to the shower, back in my room I turned on the TV to watch Sky News while I dress. The Americans were in Baghdad, as they have been the day before. I left to work.

I was on my desk working when I checked BBC News site and the Americans were in the Firdous Square. There were in the same place were Saeed Al Sahaf spoke yesterday and gave one of his infamous speeches and said that the Americans were no where near Baghdad. As I read that the Americans are there, I clicked on the Live TV feed of BBC News. I forgot about my work, I forgot where I was, I even forgot that I smoke.

My hands were shaking, my heart was palpitating, my eyes were glued to my monitor at my desk and I forgot about my work.

My eyes filled with tears of joy as I watched Saddam statue being toppled. The dictator was finally toppled. Is this really happening or am I dreaming? My hands were still shaking, my eyes tearing and my hear was still palpitating. I couldn’t work that day.

Happy is an understatement, I was more than happy, I was the happiest man on earth. I forgot about all my problems, I forgot that I smoke, I even forgot that I had a family while watching my fellow countryman in euphoria spitting on Saddam and hitting him with their shoes and slippers.

I didn’t want this moment of joy to end. My only wish was that I can be there with my fellow countrymen, celebrating this joyous moment with them, hitting Saddam’s head with the slipper and spitting on him. That was my only wish. I was feeling them, it was like they were my family. It was so strange, that no words can describe it.

That was the happiest moment of my life, two years ago when Saddam fell. Finally, what seamed impossible just happened before my eyes, and thank God that I was alive to see it.

I didn’t want to go back home, I didn’t want to drive and miss a minute of this most amazing and beautiful reality TV, but I had to. I went home and saw my family in jubilation and I saw the man hitting Saddam’s picture with his slipper, while asking him why he did this to the country, why he ruined the country, and so many other questions that remain unanswered.

That was the day that I will never forget, the day when Saddam was toppled, the day when Saddam fell. It was not the fall of Baghdad, Baghdad never fell, Baghdad was liberated; it was the birth of hope and the fall of the dictator, the fall of devil, the fall of the butcher of Iraq, the fall of god's most merciless creatures, the fall of Saddam.

Thank you for making this happen and giving us hope and thank God that I was alive to see it.

To all mankind, Happy Anniversary.

4 Comments:

Blogger jedati said...

You've given me tears of joy Ahmad! I was so happy that day, but as an American, I was cautious and wanted to see how the Iraqi people would react. I had prayed for years for the Iraqi people to be rid of the brutality of Saddam. (And we didn't even know the full scale of it then.) I was hoping in my heart that the Iraqi's would feel free!

Blogs have done so much for me....I just want to thank you and thank you and...I don't know any other words!

I have printed many of your wise words to remind me.

April 10, 2005 4:44 am  
Blogger Brian H said...

Mohammed Fadhil, of ITM, kept a diary prior to 03/04/09, and published a couple of weeks or so of it on the blog, leading day-by-day up to the anniversary on 04/04/09. I collected them in a .Doc file, and with his permission send it out to anyone who wants it. Just email me.

April 10, 2005 7:19 am  
Blogger neurotic_wife said...

"That was the day that I will never forget, the day when Saddam was toppled, the day when Saddam fell. It was not the fall of Baghdad, Baghdad never fell, Baghdad was liberated; it was the birth of hope and the fall of the dictator, the fall of devil, the fall of the butcher of Iraq, the fall of god's most merciless creatures, the fall of Saddam."

Couldnt have said it better.....

Great words Ahmad....

April 10, 2005 7:24 am  
Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Happy Anniversary Ahmad. Ashat Al Iraq! :)

April 10, 2005 2:09 pm  

Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home