<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11159840\x26blogName\x3dIraqi+Expat\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dSILVER\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://iraqiexpat.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8725093042459799877', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Iraqi Expat

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Dear British Voter

Please accept my sincere and enormous gratitude for helping liberate Iraq and for what you have given me in the last seven years. I have learned a lot by being part of your society, you offered me a home more secure than my own, you showed great tolerance toward foreigners like myself and accepted me as a human, and last but not least you have opened my eyes to a world were good prevails, where freedom and democracy are truly cherished, where I don’t have to be afraid anymore.

I am writing to you because yesterday the issue of the Iraq war has become the highlight of the election agenda; and therefore, I ask you to be as courageous as your honourable leader Tony Blair who decided that he will not bow to the tyrant Saddam Hussein and made history by helping liberate the Iraqi people from their oppressor.

You should be proud of your countrymen and women who have liberated the Iraqis from one of the most brutal dictators. You should be proud of your countrymen and women who are helping a nation to rebuild itself in a democratic fashion after being oppressed for 35 years. You should be proud of your countrymen and women who have helped opening the eyes that were closed by oppressive regimes in the Middle East.

I ask you not to vote against Tony Blair, like some parties would like you to do, because of the Iraq war. I ask you not to accept the argument that Iraq was better before the war, to which I relied earlier. And I ask you not to accept peace with oppressors, as this peace will only lead to more bloodshed of the oppressed people.

To the Muslim community of Britain; I ask you not to stand against those who liberated Muslims from oppression. I ask you to be happy for you brothers and sisters in Iraq who are free and trying to rebuild their country democratically. I ask you to wish for them that their dreams come true, and to wish for them to have the freedom and democracy you enjoy today in Britain. And I ask you not to vote against Tony Blair because of the Iraq war and because he was courageous and decent enough to decide to liberate Iraq from Saddam’s tyranny.

Sometimes true peace can only be achieved though war; therefore, I ask you not to forget what Hitler once did, and not to forget the bravery of your people who ousted him. And I assure you that Saddam was not better than Hitler, and what he did to the Iraqi people was not less than what Hitler did to the Jewish people. Without the brave actions of your people, Iraqis would have been living in Saddam’s Iraq today and would have ended up living in Qusay’s Iraq years from now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Pray for you and your family, that the Creator may protect and bless you. I pray for Iraq that the Creator may bless this nation and end the violence there. The right to assemble and protest, the right to move about freely, the right to practice any religion, the right to speak out, the right to vote, the right to have elected leaders, the right to a fair trial when accused of a crime, the right to have a decent standard of living and a future for the children will not be denied by terrorists. It will happen, it is happening.

April 26, 2005 5:25 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Ahmad, well versed. Check out the pictures I just posted on my blog from my time in Iraq with the wonderful people I met there. I wanted to put more pictures in, but they only allowed me 20. Keep up the good work. I'm an American soldier who regularly reads your blog.

April 26, 2005 6:18 pm  
Blogger Brian H said...

Ahmad;
Your phrasing is far too negative. "Just because of the war on Iraq" contains two errors.

First, you should reverse the wording; ask them to vote FOR Blair BECAUSE of his decision to go to war.

Second, the war was NOT a "war on Iraq." It was a "war in Iraq," but on Saddam Hussein's regime. That they are different is of the essence, here. It was the postulate and wager of the Coalition that Iraqis did not identify with the regime. I take it that you and Mr. Talabani strongly agree with this assessment.

So be careful not to adopt and use wording which cedes any of your assumptions and viewpoint on what was done to the anti-liberationists. It is unnecessary and self-demeaning.

April 27, 2005 2:23 am  
Blogger Ahmad said...

Brian,
You are absolutely right, especially in your second point.

Your input is very much appreciated, the message I wanted to convey was not negative at all; therefore, I have modified it.

However, I didn't ask the voters to vote for or against anyone; they should make that decision on their own, but they should consider Blair's decision to go to war as an advantage to him.

You are right in assuming that I, and most Iraqis including the president, do not associate ourselves with the Saddam's regime.

April 27, 2005 1:24 pm  

Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home